Saturday, October 13, 2012

Coconut!

So...I'm supposed to be on a cleanse diet.

No grains, no sugar, no eggs, no dairy...

Lots of veggies, fruits and meats...

...I feel like I'm dying without my chocolate and carby goodnesses!!!

What's a Mommy gonna do? I've started getting desperate, and been looking up coconut recipes. (for the record, coconut shavings are the most horrible food thing ever. I have texture issues, I know.) Well, dislike for coconut shavings aside, I'm desperate. I've got no problem with coconut flour. Or coconut oil. Or coconut butter. But shavings? Yeah, no thank you.

...so I bought coconut shavings today...and used them...and dude, have I got a recipe for you!

I was originally going to make coconut butter from scratch. But I got impatient and decided I'd just find something to do with coconut meal instead. (10 cups of coconut shavings in a food processor for about 10 minutes will yield some very fine coconut meal, for the unofficial record) I was curious. I was desperate. I made brownies!

Behold, coconut meal!

Similar to zucchini brownies, moist, decadent, and you've no idea that the yum in your mouth is healthy! I made them (with fervent prayers during the mixing, baking and taste testing) and served them to my hubby. He thought they were amazing! He's been doing the same as I all evening-snitching little bites here and there. Thankfully we'll have enough to share in our fellowship group at church tomorrow. Which is good, because that's the only reason I'm really able to make these while on a cleanse! (they have egg, which is a no-no for the cleanse diet, BUT everything else is acceptable!) I ended up making 3 batches of these brownies for tomorrow, and boy, are they good!



Shall I give this recipe? Or shall I hold ya'all in suspense? (for, like, the two of you who still follow a blogger who blogs every month, lol)

Here's the yum!

2.5 oz of dark chocolate (or all but 2 squares of a bar of chocolate)
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
1 cup coconut sugar (also known as palm sugar. You can use regular cane sugar if you'd like)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup fresh coconut meal (not flour, not shavings. Meal.)
2 TBSP coconut flour

  • Pre-heat oven to 350. If not using seasoned stoneware, spray non-stick in a 8x8 pan.
  • Melt dark chocolate and oil on stove top in small pan. Stir together, and then remove from heat.
  • Once cool, blend eggs, sugar, vanila and chocolate together.
  • Add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix well. 
  • Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. 
Gah, so good! I'm kinda glad our little one can't eat brownies yet. I wouldn't want to share! But he IS starting solid foods...so the time is coming quickly. Thankfully he's content thus far with zucchini and carrots and whatnot. Assuming Mommy gets her act together in the morning and makes it, he'll be trying out spinach tomorrow! But Mommy needs to make that first...

Well, I posted the recipe, huzzah! Time to crash, as there's a very good chance a certain little one will be waking in a few hours for a snack, and Mommy wants to get some sleep before then! Being a 6 month old boy, he's sure growing fast! *sniff, sniff* My little baby is growing too fast! Wah!

Look! He's even got two teeth growing in! Ayiee!

4 comments:

  1. I really want to make these! Where did you buy the coconut meal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually buy coconut meal. I bought a few packages of shaved coconut, and made the meal. One package of 2 1/2 cups of shavings should be quite enough, if you're just going to use it for brownies. Grab a package of coconut shavings, toss it in your blender, food processor, whatever, and let it go for about 10ish minutes. (I would let it run for about 3 minutes. Pause it, stir it around, let it run again,...) It'll be fine and soft. I'll see if I can find my camera cord to post pictures!

      Delete